OPENBENCH LABS TESTING SHOWS CONDUSIV'S DISKEEPER 12 WINDOWS ACCELERATION SOLUTION DRAMATICALLY IMPROVES STORAGE AND SYSTEM PERFORMANCE VS MICROSOFT WINDOWS BUILT-IN UTILITY
OpenBench Labs evaluation shows up to 98% fewer physical I/O requests on servers, data throughput up to 5X faster on workstations, server throughput increased 130%, idle CPU time increased 100% with Diskeeper 12 vs. Microsoft Windows built-in utility for Windows 7 and Server 2012
Burbank, Calif., October 15, 2012 – Condusiv™ Technologies, formerly Diskeeper Corporation, the leader in high-performance software optimizing technology, people and businesses, today announced the results of rigorous benchmark testing of its Diskeeper® 12 acceleration solution vs. Microsoft Windows 7 and Windows Server 2012. The testing was conducted by Westborough, Massachusetts based openBench Labs, a trusted independent IT industry source providing hands-on evaluation and certification of Information Technology products and services.
Big data, online transactions, cloud computing, and other strategic business IT initiatives are creating new challenges for IT executives tasked with optimizing performance and ROI. Among the dynamics yet to be fully explored and measured until now is the rise in I/O requests caused by file fragmentation on servers and workstations and its implications for storage, operations and application performance over time.
OpenBench Labs' results found the benefits of using Diskeeper to prevent fragmentation and eliminate huge volumes of I/O requests to storage both dramatic and far-reaching.
"We are finally getting a deep look into the hard facts on the impact of the rise of I/O requests caused by file fragmentation", said Jerry Baldwin, CEO of Condusiv Technologies. "Until now, substantial CAPEX hardware investment was the IT solution to improve performance and capacity. Now we are able to solve this problem for a fraction of the investment and most of the time, protect the customer's existing investment in CAPEX equipment."
The openBench Labs' report benchmarks the ability of Diskeeper and Condusiv's IntelliWrite technology to maximize I/O performance for server and desktop systems by restructuring the way data gets written to disk to minimize and prevent file fragmentation. All of the tests described here can be easily replicated by IT professionals as they evaluate new strategies on the basis of five key questions:
- How susceptible are Windows 7 and Windows Server 2012 to file fragmentation?
- How does file fragmentation affect system performance and end-user perception?
- How does file fragmentation affect operating conditions on physical storage systems?
- Does the built-in Windows utility sufficiently remediate the effects of file fragmentation over time?
- How much does preventing fragmentation help?
This report explores the issues of I/O and fragmentation from the ground up, details test methodologies, and quantifies the benefit and impact of employing Diskeeper 12.
"After running an intensive defragmentation process consumed over 80% of a core processor, the built-in Windows 7 defragmentation utility reported that all file fragmentation had been eliminated; however, when we examined our system volume with Microsoft's Sysinternals DiskView utility, we discovered a storage space that was far from being completely defragmented", said Dr. Jack Fegreus, founder and Managing Director of openBench Labs. "In testing the effects of file fragmentation on the latest Windows server and desktop operating systems, Diskeeper 12 offered significant advantages for end users by maintaining optimal application performance with respect to both storage and CPU resources and equally significant advantages for IT operations by reducing physical I/O operations performed by storage resources, which reduces power consumption".
Diskeeper 12 openBench Labs Finding Highlights
- Up to 98% fewer physical I/O requests were generated with Diskeeper versus the Windows built-in defragmentation utility, which lowers electric power consumption while improving I/O performance.
- Diskeeper prevented 99% of file writes from fragmenting.
- Data throughput rates increased dramatically - 1.3X improvement on servers and 5X on workstations, verses Window built-in defragmentation utility.
- During a one-week period, no file or free space fragmentation occurred on heavily utilized workstations.
- I/O performance improved across all environments using Diskeeper 12.
- Storage volumes performed at fully optimized levels throughout the testing.
- Idle CPU time improved by 100%
- Application throughput was maximized.
- Boot-up times improved by more than 50% versus using the Windows built-in defragmentation utility.
To download the openBench Labs Executive Summary and Complete Executive Briefing visit http://learn.condusiv.com/White_paper_openbench.html.
About Condusiv: Condusiv Technologies creates high-performance software that optimizes and maintains application performance and efficiency, extends equipment longevity to make technology, people and businesses more productive. From the moment Condusiv software is installed on physical or virtual disks, our technology ensures data performance is automatically optimized. Requiring zero overhead, our energy-efficient, "Set It and Forget It"® solutions are used by over 90% of the Fortune 500 and almost three-quarters of The Forbes Global 100. Our customers include literally thousands of global enterprises, government agencies, independent software vendors (ISVs), original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and home users worldwide. With over 30 years of cutting-edge product development, we lead the market in data storage innovation, delivering thought-leading technology that improves your business and user experience. Condusiv solutions help technology function at peak levels, increasing the productivity of people and business.