How does FRAGMENTATION directly affect COMPUTER PERFORMANCE?
The weakest link in computer performance is the hard disk. It is
at least 100,000 times slower than RAM and over 2 million times slower than the
CPU. In terms of computer performance, the hard disk is the primary bottleneck.
File fragmentation directly affects the access and write speed of that
hard disk, steadily corrupting computer performance to unviable
levels. Because all computers suffer from fragmentation, this is a critical
issue to resolve.
What is fragmentation?
Fragmentation, by definition, means "the state of being fragmented," or
“something is broken into parts that are detached, isolated or incomplete.” Fragmentation
is essentially little bits of data or information that are spread over a large disk
area causing your hard drive to work harder and slower than it has to just to read
a single file, thus affecting overall computer performance.
Disk fragmentation is a natural occurrence and is constantly accumulating each and
every time you use your computer. In fact, the more you use your PC, the more it
builds-up fragmentation and over time your PC is liable to experience random
crashes, freeze-ups and eventually the inability to boot up at all. Sound familiar?
And you thought you needed a new PC.
Imagine if you had a piece of paper and you tore it up into a 100 small pieces and
threw it up in the air like confetti. That is fragmentation and it is what
happens to the data on your hard drive every time you save a file. Now imagine having
to collect each of those pieces and put them back together again just to read the
document. That is defragmentation. The question is simple. Why defrag your hard
drive after the fact, when you can prevent the majority of fragmentation
in the first place.
Diskeeper® performance software with IntelliWrite® technology gets
to the heart
the problem by proactively preventing up to 85% of the fragmentation every
system suffers from. By intelligently writing files to the disk without fragmentation,
your hard drive read/write heads can then read a file that is all lined up side
by side in one location, rather than jumping to multiple spots just to access a
single file. Just like shopping, if you have to go to multiple stores to get what
you want, it simply takes longer. By curing and preventing the fragmentation
up front, and then instantly defragging the rest, you experience a whole new level
of computer performance, speed and efficiency.
Is there more than one type of fragmentation?
Yes. Fragmentation can take two forms: file fragmentation and
“File fragmentation causes performance problems when reading files, while
free space fragmentation causes performance problems when creating and
extending files.” In addition, fragmentation also opens the door to a host
of reliability issues. Having just a few key files fragmented can lead to an unstable
system and errors.
Problems caused by fragmentation include:
- Crashes and system hangs
- File corruption and data loss
- Boot up failures
- Aborted backup due to lengthy backup times
- Errors in and conflict between applications
- Hard drive failures
- Compromised data security
Longevity, Power Usage, Virtualization and SSD:
- System slows and performance degradations
- Slow boot up times
- Increase in the time for each I/O operation or generation of unnecessary I/O activity
- Inefficient disk caching
- Slowdown in read and write for files
- High level of disk thrashing (the constant writing and rewriting of small amounts
- Slow backup times
- Long virus scan times
- Unnecessary I/O activity on SQL servers or slow SQL queries
- Accelerated wear of hard drive components
- Wasted energy costs
- Slower system performance and increased I/O overhead due to disk fragmentation
compounded by server virtualization
- Write performance degradations on SSDs due to free space fragmentation
Computer performance gains with Diskeeper performance software
- Overall faster PC speeds
- Faster boot up times
- Faster backup times
- Faster application speeds
- Faster anti-virus scans
- Faster internet browsing speeds
- Faster read & write times
- Increased system stability
- Increased computer performance
- Increased system reliability
- Increased file access times
- Reduced PC slows, lags & crashes
- Reduced I/O activity
- Reduced file corruption and data loss
- Increased hardware lifespan
- Lower power consumption and energy costs
You will quickly see how little effort it takes to increase your computer
performance and keep your PC running fast at all times. Plus with the new
I/O savings tracker, it’s now even easier to gauge the benefits of running Diskeeper
on your systems. This is one software solution, you can’t do without.
We are so sure you will love Diskeeper; we want you to try it risk-free for 30 days.
This is a full version trial that will allow you to experience Diskeeper in action
for yourself on your own PC. Try it now; you will be glad you did.